Friday, April 15, 2011

Nintendo: Enter the Cafe

This week, Nintendo announced the unveiling of “Project Cafe.”

When I first heard this, I was afraid that Starbucks bought its way into the video game world. My stomach turned as I pictured the games getting unreasonably expensive and pretentious. A consolation of free Wi-Fi kept me from throwing up.

Starbucks

Although I appreciate free Wi-Fi, I’m glad I thought wrong.

Project Cafe is the codename for Nintendo’s latest project. This new console has the potential to make up for many things that the Nintendo Wii lacks to become the number one console for more gamers everywhere.

Right now, the Wii is in contention over a feature that it was once exclusive to: motion-sensing gaming. The X-Box 360’s Kinect and the Playstation 3’s Move is giving the Wii a run for its money. While the Wii is the veteran system in the motion-sensing genre, it’s considered an underdog of the competition.

Ouch.

As an avid Nintendo fan, it’s soul-breaking to admit my system’s inferiority. But as with all problems, admission is the first step to recovery. As much as it will hurt, my Nintendo bashing will actually create a map to better system.

No pain, no gain.

The Wii’s shortcomings started way back when it was first produced as the only of the three major systems that lacked HD capabilities. I understand HD wasn’t as big as in 2006 as it is today, but it bothers me that Nintendo couldn’t plan ahead a few years in the future.

Here’s some perspective: it’s 2011 and even Taco Bell’s menu on my college campus is in HD.

A more pressing issue with this system is its accusation of selling out to casual gamers. Countless generic sports and party games gives the hardcore scene no choice but to fend for itself out in the cold wilderness. Many of these abandoned gamers find refuge in the welcoming arms of competing consoles.

Along with that, the Wii—OMG THERE’S AN ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM!

Elephant in the room

It’s okay. Just pretend that he’s not in here.

As I tried to say, the Wii senses motion less accurately than its competing systems despite that motion sensing is a core component to the system.

Although steps have been taken to improve motion-sensing with the Wii MotionPlus, I think the best way to get rid of this elephant is to drastically improve the Wii’s motion sensing technology.

For the Wii to seek improvement, it must enter the Cafe.

As I have said earlier, “Project Cafe” has the potential to fix the above issues with the Nintendo Wii. It is rumored to have HD capabilities and it intends to “recapture the hardcore gamer market.”

We’ll find out if these rumors true (please let them be) when Nintendo unveils its new toy at E3 this June.

No comments:

Post a Comment