Wednesday, January 22, 2014

A New Chapter (Part 1)

I normally don't write about myself, but I'll give it a shot.

Since my last post, I've traveled a long way on my journey through life. I've accomplished major goals and I've gone through lifestyle changes. I've made big decisions and accepted new responsibilities.

I'm a big boy now.

It's exciting and unnerving how much can change in just a year. I'll go over a few highlights.

I graduated from Ball State University.



These past four years were a blur. The nights were never long enough to have fun with friends, but they were barely long enough to finish my projects. I managed to fit in eating and playing video games, although I had to work around my sleep schedule.

I graduated as an English major with a Computer Science minor. Despite horror stories of unemployed English majors, I was fortunate enough to get a job before I graduated.

I started a new job.



I was hired as a Web Developer for an electronics company called Functional Devices, Inc.

As you might guess, my primary job is to maintain and develop the company's websites and databases. I work with the engineering department to keep our product information up-to-date.

I'm also a part of the marketing department where I'm responsible for updating our web banners and our social media profiles.

I even have my own window.

I'm living on my own.



I spent my first month commuting for nearly three hours a day. My schedule was soul-crushing, but the idea of having a real income kept me going.

I was finally able to lease an apartment fifteen minutes away from work. Up until then, getting up at 7:00 meant that I overslept. I'm now able to function as a proper human being.

Currently, I don't have any roommates. For the first time, I am truly independent.

At my apartment, I've got two rules:
  1. Pants are optional.
  2. There are no rules.
Living alone is everything I thought it could be.



These are just a few of my new experiences. I'll go into more detail in upcoming posts.

This past year, I've learned a lot and I've grown as a person. I'm so thankful for my friends and family who all shaped me into the person I am today.

Seriously, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment