Friday, March 25, 2011

A Brighter TOMorrow

Ever since I could remember, Superman had always been my favorite superhero. He had the power to do whatever he wanted, but he always chose to do the right thing and fight for justice. He had super strength, the power of flight, and he saved the world on a regular basis.

I wanted to be just like him.

Superman

Unfortunately, as hard as I tried, I couldn’t discover any superpowers of my own. The only thing that I could emulate was his super sense of morality. I was six years old; I didn’t know how that this was a quality that could potentially get me far in life. Also, thanks to Superman, my goal was to save the world.

Thirteen years later, I found a decent starting point.

I try to do all of the little things: I hold the door open for others, I don’t litter, I always use my turn signal, I recycle, I donate blood, and so on. I refuse to add my trash to the world’s garbage dump of negativity. Sadly, we have all gotten used to its stench.

The media has jaded and desensitized us with their mundane reports of recent homicides, rapes, muggings, and the requisite political scandal. Just this morning, there was a school shooting at an Indiana school. It’s enough to to make you lose faith in humanity.

Then you hear another story that gives you hope for tomorrow.

For me, it came during my freshman year in college. A man named Blake Mycoskie came to campus to talk about how he came to run a business called TOMS Shoes.

Previous to this, I didn’t know anything about him or his shoes. By the time that he was finished, I was ready to buy a pair.

TOMS

It wasn’t because the shoes were “teh awesomez” or because they were a bargain. It was the business model of TOMS that was so appealing: One for One. For every shoe sold, the company would donate a pair to a child in need. The more you buy, the more you help.

Genius.

The best part about TOMS are its passionate consumers. They are so sympathetic to the cause that they will preach to others why they should by a pair. It’s because of them that this combination of charity and business is so successful.

TOMS follows a unique business model that actually rewards generosity with profit. I hope that entrepreneurs all over the world are paying attention to this.

It all began because Mycoskie’s sense of morality couldn’t stand seeing shoeless kids while he was on vacation in Argentina back in 2006. The rest is history.

He is proof that you don’t need superpowers to do your part in saving the world.

Superman would be proud.